Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Why 33 Cents?

Yesterday my mom called and asked me why I'd sent her $419.33. I wondered how she could possibly forget that I owed her almost $10,000 and was paying it back, but I answered that it was her payment for the month. She said, yes, but why 33 cents?

Apparently she still hasn't grasped the concept of "every penny counts". I've told her how I'm snowflaking everything I save/earn and giving it to her at the end of the month, but apparently she didn't think I really meant everything. Like, to the penny.

Overall though, she's been doing better at paying attention to finances and paying off debt. She started listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio, and I think hearing it from him rather than me has helped a lot. She's called me a couple of times to ask a "what would Dave do" question and tell me she's going to revisit her bills and she if they're paying for things they don't use, so I know she's thinking more about finances and taking steps in the right direction. She didn't jump in wholeheartedly from the beginning like I did, but everyone's different, and she's picking things up slowly but surely. Hopefully one day she'll call me with a question or comment about paying cash for a car.

*Sigh* Mothers are so hard to train.

No comments: