Thursday, April 17, 2008

Choosing Fight Over Flight

GLBL wrote a great post on reasons why people don't budget. Before my Financial Revolution last August, I was firmly in the "It's Too Complicated" camp.

For some unknown reason, I had created a mental block when it came to money. Just thinking about anything to do with money, whether it was budgeting or consolidating my student loans or doing my taxes, would bring over an intense fear. My fight or flight reflex kicked in and I automatically picked flight every time. I either ignored the situation or I called my mom and whined to her until she helped me or did it for me.

I'm still not sure what it was that turned me around. I can remember the how and when; I was reading about America's debt problem on MSN Money, and I went home that night, added up all of my debt, and decided to figure out how to turn it around. But I still can't figure out the why. What was it about that day that made me pick fight instead of flight?

Whatever the reason was, I'm infinitely glad I chose to fight. I'm over $111,000 in debt, but I feel like I have more money now than I've ever had before. Creating a budget was the best thing I ever did.

No comments: